Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gettin' Knitty - Gritty Wit Dit...

Before I learned to crochet I had a friend teach me to knit. I found it very frustrating because I didn't have anyone to teach me how to do anything more then make a scarf. Since that day I have learned to crochet and I love all the possibilities that come from my hook. I enjoy every single crafty minute! However, the past year I have seen so many patterns that I would LOVE to make if only I knew how to knit. I dreamed of all the possibilities that would come if I not only knew how to crochet but also how to knit! 

So... if I can teach myself how to crochet from a book...
Surely... I can teach myself how to knit from a book...
Right?! 

Yesterday, I started the process of not only refreshing my mind on the knit and pearl stitches
but learning new things that will help me become an excellent knitter.

Lesson one -

Remembering how to cast on...
Refreshing on the knit stitch...
and remembering how to cast off...

 Knitted Swatch


 Lesson two... 

Learning how to change colors...

By making this scarf I will be practicing the basic skills of casting on, knitting, 
adding new colors, and binding off. Hopefully knitting needles will become 
as comfortable in my hands as a crochet hook. Hopefully.

 

After I finish this scarf I will move on to refreshing and perfecting the pearl stitch. I will also learn
how to make different stitch patterns from the knit stitch and pearl stitch.
More on that later... 

My Ultimate Goal is to be able to make these two patterns:

Pretty in Pink by Josée Paquin

Soap Bubble Wrap by Connie Chang Chinchio

I am sure I have a long way to go but I have a wonderful crochet/knit group that will help me if I need them. 
I will keep you updated on my progress!

Have a great week!!

1 comment: